Belle Vue - St Johns Road, Leeds
Planning & Development
Property Market Analysis
Site Specific S106/Affordable Housing Economic Viability Appraisals
AspinallVerdi initially introduced this opportunity to developers Watkin Jones Group and then assisted in the acquisition of two adjacent sites which were in separate ownership. The sites combine to provide a development opportunity of almost 5 acres. The sites comprised historic buildings include a former textile factory which was being used as a police depot and the former St Michael’s College (secondary school).
Watkin Jones Group are one of the Countries longest established contractor development companies and the largest developer of purpose built student accommodation.
After securing the development opportunity through negotiation with the vendors, AspinallVerdi worked closely with the Watkin Jones Group team to:
- Co-ordinate the planning application, including agreeing the Planning Performance Agreement, undertaking pre-application discussions and consultations;
- Preparation of the Housing Statement and Economic Viability Report;
- Ensuring that the ‘1908’ heritage building was dealt with appropriately;
- Liaison with all stakeholders and consultants throughout the process.
The scheme secured full planning permission and all phases of the scheme are on site. The scheme incorporates:
- Building 1 – 320 student beds
- Building 2 – 261 PRS units which are aimed at keyworkers for affordable rent
- Building 3 – 61 market sale apartments.
The scheme is the first significant purpose built Private Rented Scheme and indeed the first scheme to secure permission for keyworkers in Leeds.