CIL Viability Study: Sandwell
CIL & Local Plan Viability Assessments
Planning & Development
Property Market Analysis
AspinallVerdi was commissioned by Sandwell Metropolitan Borough Council to prepare a Borough wide development viability assessment to be used as evidence to support the introduction of a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) charging schedule.
The key elements of the study were:
- Assessment of land values to identify significant variances by location/development type;
- Assessment of CIL rates including sensitivity testing based on values, use and location; and
- Recommend CIL tariffs/rate to achieve an appropriate balance between delivering infrastructure and the impact on development viability.
AspinallVerdi undertook the following tasks:
- Review of available market evidence and planning policy documents (e.g. SHLAA and Employment Land Study) as well as gathering further market intelligence.
- Consultations with developers and agents to understand their views on commercial viability.
- Agree development typologies to be tested.
- Prepare bespoke viability model.
- Sensitivity analysis to test changes in values and costs on scheme viability.
- Prepare report setting out evidence base for proposed development typologies and viability model, with recommendations on CIL rates for the Charging Schedule.
The viability study was completed within a 6 week period with clear recommendations on proposed CIL rates and Zones based on commercial viability of the proposed schemes/uses.Download PDF