West Oxon Local Plan and CIL Viability
CIL & Local Plan Viability Assessments
Planning & Development
Strategic Land - Strategic Urban Extensions / Strategic Development Areas
AspinallVerdi was commissioned by West Oxfordshire District Council to prepare an Economic Viability Appraisal of development across the District to be used as evidence to:
- inform a Preliminary Draft Charging Schedule (PDCS) for CIL (Community Infrastructure Levy);
- assess the cumulative impact of the Draft Local Plan (taking into account CIL and other Plan policies (including Affordable Housing)); and
- assess the viability of the proposed Strategic Development Areas (SDA’s) – namely East Witney and East Carterton and RAF Brize Norton (Carterton).
AspinallVerdi undertook the following tasks:
- District wide familiarization town and settlement visits
- Desktop review of available market evidence (Land Registry, EGi, Zoopla etc.)
- Review of Plan policies and Development Monitoring data
- Stakeholder workshop to consult on appraisal assumptions
- Agreed development typologies to be tested
- Prepared a bespoke viability financial model
- Sensitivity analysis to test changes in values and costs (e.g. Code for Sustainable Homes) on viability
- Appraisal ‘sense check’ of the SDA’s.
The initial viability study was completed within a 6-8 week period with clear recommendations on Affordable Housing policy, proposed CIL rates and Local Plan viability.
The Affordable Housing target % was appraised and set at a rate that was viable and efficient for all schemes.
The CIL rates were proposed to achieve an ‘appropriate balance’ between delivering infrastructure and the impact on development viability.Download PDF